I have heard it said that you must throw a coin into a certain fountain in the city of Rome to ensure you will one day return there.
I’ve never been to Rome and probably never will; this photo is of What The Romans Did For Us. It’s a view of the cold plunge bath at the end of the bath complex at Aque Sulis, AKA the city of Bath. Clearly the impulse to throw coins into a watery grave is a strong one as the floor of this venerable pool was covered in a fair few quid’s worth of coins in many different currencies.
Before you ask, yes, I too hurled a coin and made a wish or two. I didn’t wish especially to come back there, though I do hope to, as it was one of the best days ever. If Fortune Favours this Brave, then I may be going back in May, assuming some Italians are daft enough to want to do a six day tour of Roman Britain, but that’s in the laptops of the gods right now!
That aside, I was thinking of worldwide wishing practises and wondering what people think…..
February 5, 2009 - Posted by Viv | culture, events, friends, fun, life, personal, photo, Proverbs and Sayings, psychology, random, Viv's Art, women, writing | Aquae Sulis, Bath, fortune, luck, Roman Britain, superstitions, wishing wells
4 Comments »
About Café Crem
Hello Boys & Girls from around the World!
Fancy a coffee with us?
Café Crem was created by Miki and Kev Moore in 2007 with the intention of gathering like-minded artists, writers and musicians together around the coffee table to discuss and share thoughts, ideas, art, etc.
This initial desire has surpassed our wildest dreams with a myriad of collaborations taking place between the various members, creating pieces of work that simply would not exist without Café Crem.
Have a wander though in our different rooms:
“Cafe Literati”, the Literary Room
“Café L’Arte”, the Art Gallery
“Ca’ Puccini”, the Music Studio
and, last but not least,
“The MiniBar”, our creative space for our kids and teens!
You are all welcome.
Contact Miki at email@example.com if you want to participate!
Cafe Crem’s Video of The Month
The Flamencoscapes by Miki
Download Kev’s solo album FOR FREE!!
- 338,025 hits
- Long time no see
- Love Mugs
- The Irina Bloom Mug
- RETRO REVIEW: Mother’s Finest’s ‘Meta-Funk’n-Physical’ (2003)
- How cool is this? – The Mother’s Finest kickstarter project – 10 days to go!
- Okay….so for a brief shining period, WE were a Power Trio!
- The Return of the Power Trio
- Mother’s Finest – The Kickstarter campaign
- Intensity in Tent City – Leyendas del Rock 2013
- Bettye and Shuggie in San Javier
- A Tale of Two Festivals – Part Four: The Cazorla Blues Festival
- A Tale of Two Festivals – Part Three: Cazorla Blues Festival continued….
- A Tale of Two Festivals – Part Two: The Cazorla Blues Festival
- A Tale of Two Festivals – Part One: Sun Valley Metalfest, Gallio, Italy
- Axe to Grind from Witch Cross – now streaming live for a limited time!!
Site infoCafé Crem
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.