I wrote the following poem some years ago and posted it anonymously on a friend’s blog. He still doesn’t know it was me, but he hoiked it out of the comments box and gave it a post of its own. What alarmed me at the time was the fact that he added a very graphic picture of a young woman who had self harmed by slashing at her arms; the poem was not meant to be about this issue at all but at a subconscious level my friend had picked up certain of my history that meant this was one of the ways he interpretted the poem. I was both impressed and horrified and I never owned up to him!
In some ways it was intended to be more like John Donne or one of the other metaphysical poets who wrote about the way divine love shaped us, but it came out quite differently.
I feel rather naked about sharing the background to the poem; it somehow makes the whole thing rather more personal….
Love wounds us.
Like tribal scars,
Love marks us,
Shows us as new
Of raised scar tissue
Label us as different.
Love hurts us:
The brief bold cut
Dripping hot blood
Shows us changed,
Only those who share
Our pattern of scarring
Can see and know
The person we have become,
Or see the beauty and power
Of those indelible wounds,
Invisible to those untouched
By Love’s kind blade.
January 8, 2009 - Posted by Viv | death, God in our life, health, life, love, personal, poetry, psychology, religion, Viv's Poetry, writing | Creative Writing, John Donne, love, love poetry, metaphysical poets, poetry, selfharm
7 Comments »
About Café Crem
Hello Boys & Girls from around the World!
Fancy a coffee with us?
Café Crem was created by Miki and Kev Moore in 2007 with the intention of gathering like-minded artists, writers and musicians together around the coffee table to discuss and share thoughts, ideas, art, etc.
This initial desire has surpassed our wildest dreams with a myriad of collaborations taking place between the various members, creating pieces of work that simply would not exist without Café Crem.
Have a wander though in our different rooms:
“Cafe Literati”, the Literary Room
“Café L’Arte”, the Art Gallery
“Ca’ Puccini”, the Music Studio
and, last but not least,
“The MiniBar”, our creative space for our kids and teens!
You are all welcome.
Contact Miki at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to participate!
Cafe Crem’s Video of The Month
The Flamencoscapes by Miki
Download Kev’s solo album FOR FREE!!
- 338,001 hits
- Long time no see
- Love Mugs
- The Irina Bloom Mug
- RETRO REVIEW: Mother’s Finest’s ‘Meta-Funk’n-Physical’ (2003)
- How cool is this? – The Mother’s Finest kickstarter project – 10 days to go!
- Okay….so for a brief shining period, WE were a Power Trio!
- The Return of the Power Trio
- Mother’s Finest – The Kickstarter campaign
- Intensity in Tent City – Leyendas del Rock 2013
- Bettye and Shuggie in San Javier
- A Tale of Two Festivals – Part Four: The Cazorla Blues Festival
- A Tale of Two Festivals – Part Three: Cazorla Blues Festival continued….
- A Tale of Two Festivals – Part Two: The Cazorla Blues Festival
- A Tale of Two Festivals – Part One: Sun Valley Metalfest, Gallio, Italy
- Axe to Grind from Witch Cross – now streaming live for a limited time!!
Site infoCafé Crem
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.